Information for Patients


We have provided below a link detailing the average waiting times for secondary care referrals. 

Please note that the waiting time is a very rough estimate because it takes account of both routine and urgent referrals to give an overall average. Therefore, it won't help gague waiting times for urgent referral. Routine referrals will be several weeks longer than that stated because the data is skewed by the quicker wait times for urgent appointments.

Important Information: Referrrals made by our clinicians as either an urgent or routine referral are triaged by the relevant healthcare provider and will be priortised according to their criteria. This is outside of our control so requesting a referral to be expedited in order to gain priority could result in future delays.

The overarching website provides links to wait times for all local trusts including Oxford and Frimley (Wexham).

Dial a Ride



Since April 2020, CDAR has been operating a free service during the pandemic for patients who have needed to attend medical appointments in hospitals, clinics and surgeries

This special service - with a majority of the referrals coming from GP practices - has been well used (including during the Covid vaccination programme) and has been greatly appreciated. It has been running continuously for 15 months, from April 2020 to end June 2021 with users well into the 100s. We mounted a vigorous fund raising campaign to cover the costs and so make it possible and we received timely support including from the Buckinghamshire Council Community Boards and from Heart of Bucks, to whom we are very grateful.

With the easing of the lockdown, which we all hope will soon continue further, CDAR will be running our regular, normal service, providing door to door, two way transport in our bespoke minibuses with our trained, caring drivers for those in the community with mobility problems.

We very much look forward to continuing to collaborate with you. Until end of June, the number to ring for help is 07923 591955. Thereafter, our regular landline 01494 766123 will be the number to contact us for our regular service. Please remember that least 3 days notice will be required to enable us to see if we can make arrangements. We may be in a position to help at shorter notice depending on availability.

UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) in Older Adults

Signs and Symptoms

For more information please click here

Parenting Concerns

How do I know if I should worry?

When should I Worry? Enhancing the quality of information sharing in primary care for childhood respiratory tract infections

It is common for young children to pick up lots of infections as they build up a strong immune system to protect them in adulthood. It can be very difficult to know what to do when your child appears unwell.

The "When Should I Worry" booklet can help you decide when to be worried and seek further help- please have a look:

If you are unsure whether your child needs a GP appointment, then just Dial 111 and ask.

There is also very useful information available on the Bucks Health Help now website.

You can access their website by clicking here:

Health help now

Family Information & Support

Buckinghamshire Family Information Service

Buckinghamshire County Council offer a service to families with children with lots of useful information about parenting and caring for a family.

They have a "Parent Zone" offering advice about Childrens Centres and Childcare, and all aspects of family life and support for children of all ages.

You can access their website by clicking here: Bucks Family Information Service

Parenting Support

Believe in children. Barnado's

For information about supporting you in your role as a parent Barnardos can offer advice and information

For more information from Barnardos - you can go to their website here:

Home Start

Home Start. Support and friendship for families

Home-Start's informal and friendly support for families with young children provides a lifeline to thousands of parents and children in over 300 communities across the UK and with forces families in Germany and Cyprus.

For more information of the local services they offer you can access their website here:

Parent Carers

SPACE Support Chesham. Space for you supporting them

Buckinghamshire County Council have a service called Parent Carers to offer support for parents caring for children with physical or learning disabilities. You can access their webpage here:

Support for ADHD and Autistic Spectrum

SPACE Support (Chesham), a South Bucks support group for parents and carers of children with ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorder & Challenging Behaviour.

You can contact Space via their website here

Information for Carers

Who is a Carer? – A Carer provides unpaid support and care on a regular and substantial basis to a relative or friend who, due to frailty, illness or disability, would not be able to live independently without them.

Although there are some issues that affect most carers, caring for someone with certain conditions can bring its own set of practical and emotional challenges and concerns. This section covers information on specific caring roles and conditions.

We recognise that if you are a carer, it can be difficult for you to focus on your own health and your own well being.

Carers Bucks. Buckinghamshire County Council

We benefit locally from a service called "Carers Bucks".

Information about this free service, which is run by Buckingham County Council, can be found here:You do not need to see your GP first, just give them a call on 0300 777 2722.

Young Carers Bucks is part of Carers Bucks and supports children and young people in Buckinghamshire aged 6-18 years old who have a caring role.

Carers Trust. Action. Help. Advice

Help and support is also available from the Carers Trust

Carers Direct. Information, advice and support for carers

Nationally there is a service called Carers Direct.

Here is a link to their website: Carers Direct

Fire Safety Assessment

Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Fire Authority. Making you safer. Preventing. Protecting. Responding.

You can arrange a fire and wellness visit for yourself, someone you care for or anyone locally via the brilliant team at the Buckingham and Milton Keynes Fire Authority.

For more information please visit their website:

Have you or someone you care for suffered a stroke?

Stroke AssociationSupport in your area

The Amersham stroke Club is here to help.

This link will take you to their page on the Stroke.Org website for more information.

Amersham Stroke Support Group

Information about Dementia:

We are proud to announce that we are working towards being a Dementia Friendly organisation

Across the UK 0.6% of our population have dementia. The impact of this condition is not limited to the person diagnosed, but also effects their families and their carers. We understand that it is difficult to ask for help but please speak to your GP and look at the following local organisations for help, support and advice.

Resources for carers of people with dementia;

Useful agencies and charities to support carers;

Buckinghamshire Care and Support Services Directory 2014/15, a useful booklet is available here

Services, groups and activities in Buckinghamshire Spring 2021:

Services Information Spring 2021 (PDF, 131KB)

Service Information Sheet - Spring 2022

Carers Bucks is an independent charity and a company limited by guarantee, established in 2004 to support unpaid family carers in Buckinghamshire. All Carers' Centres provide either by telephone, drop-in or outreach surgeries, the following core services:

  • Information and advice - about all issues affecting carers, including benefits, breaks, respite and support services, Carer assessment procedures, aids and adaptations
  • Emotional support - by providing opportunities for carers to talk through their concerns, both individually and in group sessions, with staff, trained volunteers and other carers who understand their situation, thus helping to alleviate isolation and stress.
  • Community consultation - carers need a unified voice in any locality to ensure that they have an impact on decision-making. By working with other agencies and consulting carers, Carers' Centres can have a strong influence on local policy, planning procedures and outcomes. They can also ensure that the local carers' voice can be linked in to the regional and national decision-making bodies.

AGE UK is the charity that has arisen from the merger of Age Concern and Help the Aged. Services include advocacy, befriending, phone-a-friend, rural day care, handy person, neat feet, clean up, computer lessons, therapeutic massage, help in moving house, gardening. They have numerous guides covering a wide range of subjects at the following web-site: and locally email

Alzheimer’s Society is there for people affected by all types of dementia. It is a useful central point for many resources, financial advice, ideas and support

Contact the local branch at:

Talking Point is an online support and discussion forum run by the Alzheimers society for anyone affected by dementia. It's a place to ask for advice, share information, join in discussions and feel supported

Sitting Service-St Johns ambulance; Buckinghamshire St John Ambulance

Variety of services including equipment loans and ambulance transport to nursing homes and hospitals. May be able to offer advice on moving and handling to carers in their own homes.

Buckinghamshire St John Ambulance, Telephone: 01296 744360/0844 770 4800

There is also a Sitting Service - trained sitters provide short periods of respite care in the home to allow carers to have a break.

Telephone: 01494 689955 / 01494 689955

Action on Hearing Loss is the new name for RNID. We’re working for a world where hearing loss doesn’t limit or label people, where tinnitus is silenced and where people value and look after their hearing

Tel: 01296 479970 –

The Bladder and Bowel Foundation or B&BF is a UK wide charity that provides information and advice on a range of symptoms and conditions related to the bladder and bowel. Nurse helpline: 0845 345 0165

Benefits and rebates

COUNCIL TAX. With the mental health impairment exemption, you may be able to obtain a discount from council tax;

Also, you may be able to qualify for your council tax band to be reduced by one if, for example, you have had to convert a living room into a bedroom. Information on this is available at the following link:

Carers grant scheme and respite care-subject to income assessment, available from social services/council as is capital grant towards house modifications.

Healthy Start Vouchers

Don't miss out on Healthy Start Vouchers - to qualify you must be at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old.

Healthy Start Vouchers

Better Housing, Better Health

The Better Housing Better Health Energy Voucher Scheme is live and open for partners to refer residents who need help the most. They have an allocation of £49.00 fuel vouchers available to residents on prepayment meters to help towards the cost.

Please see below for their newsletter with more details:

Better Housing, Better Health Newsletter

Social Services Carer assessments

All carers are entitled to (and should) request a Carer assessment in their own right from social services.

Information if you have been off sick:

Sickness Certificates

Do I need a sick note?

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less.

Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

If your employer 'insists' on a doctor's note to cover your first seven days of illness, then we can provide that for you, however please note that there is a charge for that service as it is specifically not covered by the NHS.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable.

If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).

Local Services, Let
Arts Educational School Bojangles Creative Cafe